Skip to main content

What Does an Ironman Look Like?

2.4 mile swim.
112 mile bike.
26.2 mile run.

What is the first body type, weight, or idea of what an "ironman" should look like to you?

Throw it away.

A. Body dismorphia is REAL!
B. Beautiful women are being "fat shamed" because they aren't a size 6 or less.
C. What my 170lb body can do is AMAZING and just because I don't fit in the category of what an "ironman" is suppose to look like doesn't mean I won't become one!

My definition of what an Ironman looks like consists of 102 miles of training in the pouring down rain while laughing and singing. My definition of what an Ironman looks like is eating healthier than you have in your whole life, watching your body retaliate against you, and still getting up to train strong every morning. My definition of what an Ironman looks like is using your life circumstances as fuel to finish something that is way bigger than yourself or your circumstances.

Why do we give ourselves these parameters we must fit into in order to do things? Why do we as a society think that we all must be a cookie cutter shape, size, and build?

-Yes I'm training for an Ironman.
-Yes I gained 15-20lbs while doing it.
-Yes I have missed important workouts, I have made excuses when I was just being lazy and wanted to prop my feet up.
-Yes I've hated my size, my body, my brain, and my hormones.
-Yes I have cried over lack of support from my family while training
-Yes my depression has sucked the life out of me and has taken away my self confidence

But, there is always fuel for the fire. Fuel that says you are not suppose to be able to do this and so you will! Prove the world wrong!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TrivaVal's W.B. marathon report

The week before a big event your mind and body do some strange things. First your body begins to ache all over. Second you are an emotional nightmare of emotions and completely irrational. Third your​ mind is an uncontrollable barrage of must do this, must get this, do not forget this which is why the kitchen sink ends up being part of your luggage. Travel day finally arrives! Hopefully you have a huge vehicle because the kitchen sink is going in. Your mind has played out every possible "what if" scenario resulting in at least 3 bags of items being packed. The night before.... Now you would think you would like to get a great nights sleep on this night but it is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Hopefully you have had some sleep the week before because you will lie in bed miserable tossing and turning all night and may even have some very interesting or terrifying dreams. This particular race my dream was that we were being chased by a human size chicken during the race...

Ever feel like.... WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!?!?!?!?!

Well that feeling kicks in this week as we start to write out the plan that we officially begin on Monday. We are writing this plan on top of our current Marathon Training Plan schedule. On top of that basketball begins for Danielle this week and will be 2-3 days a week. And life still happens. If you try to think more than one week ahead it gets overwhelming, so for now I will stick to thinking one week at a time and sometimes one day at a time! In actuality the beginning of the 140.6 Triathlon training plan is less than we have been doing recently, but with the Marathon Training Plan thrown into that mix it is not really giving us any decrease. Here's to our kick off!! 1/23/2017 the plan begins!!

What the HIVES?!?!?!?!??

2 weeks prior to the Divas Half Marathon I began to notice a strange redness during one of my workouts. Then I realized it was hives. The hives were only on my legs and mainly on my knees. I took some Benadryl that night. The next afternoon I had hives again. I went to the pharmacy and got some spray for the uncontrollable itching that you COULD NOT scratch or the result would be a fire like sensation. I also got an allergy medicine I could take during the day. The next day was a long bike. No hives, no hives, no hives, 10 pm HIVES. What the heck???? So I stopped using Voltarin. Still had hives after 3pm everyday. Some days worse than other days. Ugggghhhhhh So Friday I shave, no hives, and get ready for the beach trip (Divas Half Marathon Myrtle Beach). We get to the beach and I changed into pajamas and BAD HIVES. I notice they do not go above mid thigh. I don't shave above mid thigh.... Hummmmm I wonder. Well I didn't shave any all weekend. Got a PR for the Half Marathon. Bo...